Have you ever wondered how insurance companies determine coverage of certain treatments? One factor is a report from the Institute for Clinical and Economic Review (ICER). ICER is a non-profit organization that evaluates new treatments and assesses their cost-effectiveness. ICER is currently reviewing the new class of CGRP inhibitor medications for Migraine prevention. At least one of these new treatments is expected to be available by prescription in 2018. Part of the ICER Review of CGRP inhibitor medications includes requests for patient input.
The second Public Comment period is open until May 8th. All input submitted will be shared with the voting panel members who will vote on the final report. That report is expected to be published in June 2018.
The Headache and Migraine Policy Forum had requested that either a Migraine patient or physician who is a headache specialist be included in the ICER Review of CGRP voting panel. Unfortunately, ICER denied this request. That makes our input even more important. The panel needs to have as much information as we can provide about the impact of Migraine.
Physicians and researchers are providing information about the technical and medical aspects of both migraine itself and this new class of medication. What we need most is input from real patients who can explain the true impact of Migraine.
Instructions for submitting your comments
When writing your comments, please follow these instructions carefully. ICER has set these requirements and only submissions that meet them will be considered. In order to make it easier to submit your comments, we’ve created a Word template to download and use. The font style and size, plus all the important points are already set. All you need to do is share your thoughts and experiences.
- Submit your comments via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “ICER OPEN COMMENT PERIOD ON CGRP INHIBITORS FOR MIGRAINE”
- Please send a copy of this email to email@example.com so the Headache and Migraine Policy Forum can track how many letters have been submitted. The goal is 250 submissions.
- Attach a Word document of your comments to the email. Do NOT send a PDF or include your comments in the body of the email message.
- The letter must not exceed FIVE pages
- The letter must be written in Times New Roman, 12-point font size.
- NOTE: All submission will be posted for public review on the ICER website. Please share only what you are comfortable sharing publicly online.
What else can help
The Headache and Migraine Policy Forum has developed an infographic we can all share, plus several smaller graphics ideal for social media sharing. The ICER Review of CGRP inhibitor medications is important and will affect treatment access for all of us. ICER needs to hear from us! Getting the word out is as simple. Each one can also be downloaded and shared freely during the comment period.